Top 10 events of Hanoi in 2014
The press in Hanoi have selected ten outstanding events of the capital city in 2014 as follows:
1.Hanoi successfully organized a series of national and municipal festivals and anniversaries, including the 60th anniversary of the capital’s Liberation Day and Dien Bien Phu Victory; the 15th anniversary of Hanoi’s recognition as the “City of Peace” and the 70th founding anniversary of the Vietnam People’s Army.
2. The economy of Hanoi posted an 8.8 percent growth rate despite numerous difficulties and budget collection achieved 103.1 percent of the year’s target.
3. Effective implementation of measures to maintain national security and social order as well as to strengthen national defence amidst complicated changes in the regional and world situations.
Hanoi is a trustworthy destination for investors and foreigners. In 2014, the city welcomed three million foreign visitors.
4. The "Year of urban order and civilization - 2014" was implemented with positive results. Remarkable progress was seen in urban order, environmental sanitation and traffic safety.
5. Several key transport projects were put into operation, including the Hanoi-Lao Cai Highway, Nhat Tan bridge, Dong Tru bridge, Noi Bai Airport’s Terminal T2 and Vo Nguyen Giap Avenue.
6. Two new districts - Nam Tu Liem and Bac Tu Liem were established. Hanoi now has 30 districts and 384 wards and communes.
7. Remarkable achievements in new rural area building with 110 communes meeting all 19 criteria.
8.Hanoi students won seven gold, 15 silver, and 8 bronze medals at international contests. The city continues to lead the country in the field of education.
9.Hanoi sport delegation ranked first at the National Sport Festival with 232 gold medals.
A Hanoi athlete also brought home Vietnam’s only gold medal in Asiad 17.
10. Hanoi gained positive results in administration reform and jumped 18 places on the Provincial Competiveness Index (PCI) to rank 33th out of 63 provinces./.