Vietnam introduces code of conduct for safe social media environment
|Strict customs inspections impose on goods amid law violation of smugglers|
|Election campaigns completed safely in compliance with law|
|Japan supports Vietnam in building emission-free circular economy|
Vietnam's Ministry of Information and Communications on June 17 introduced a code of conduct on social networks to create a safe and healthy online environment, according to Vietnam News Agency. The code will come into effect from June 17.
The code looks to develop ethical standards for behaviors on social networks, educate and develop good habits for social network users, contributing to building a healthy and safe online environment. It is designed to ensure civil liberty, freedom to run business, and no discrimination between domestic and foreign service providers, in line with international standards, international practice, and treaties to which Vietnam is a signatory.
Vietnam's code of conduct on social media targets:
(1) State-owned organizations and individuals using social networks
(2) Other organizations and individuals using social networks
(3) Social network service providers in Vietnam.
According to the code of conduct, organizations and individuals are:
- Encouraged to share information from official and reliable sources, and behave in ways that match the traditional moral and cultural values of Vietnam.
- Required not to use words that incite hatred or trigger violence and gender and religious discrimination, not to publish contents violating legal regulations and information defaming others, not to spread fake news and untrue information, and not to conduct illegal advertising, affecting social order and safety.
- Recommended to use real name when registering for the use of social networks, and register with the service provider to certify their names, website addresses, and contact.
- Encouraged to optimize the networks to promote Vietnamese land, people, and culture, and educate and protect children and teenagers in the online world.
- Encouraged to fully observe the code of conduct and popularize it to other users.
Notably, the code asks social network service providers in Vietnam to protect the legal rights of vulnerable groups, instruct them to use social networks safely and healthily. Social network service providers are not allowed to collect users' personal information for a third party if not agreed by the users themselves.
According to Nikkei Asia, Vietnam is an important market for Facebook - its biggest revenue engine in Southeast Asia. There were 72.00 million social media users in Vietnam in January 2021, increasing by 7.0 million (+11%) between 2020 and 2021, said Data Reportal.
Vietnam had discussed ways to prevent negative content, protect social media users and create a healthy online environment for a long time. Back in 2018, talks about building a code of conduct for social media users had been held.
|“Instagram for Vietnam” campaign to encourage young people’s innovative spirit |
Facebook recently has kick-started a campaign on Instagram to encourage Vietnamese young people’s innovative spirits and promote values created by them.
|Vietnamese social media users snap up course on posing for perfect photos |
How to smile, where to place a hand, which direction to face: young Vietnamese social media users are snapping up a popular influencer's course on ...
|"Bluezone lottery" to encourage people install Bluezone app |
Uniform invoice lottery, which means each VAT invoice will contain lucky numbers, and the winning numbers will be chosen from hand-turned lottery machines in a ...