12 Breathtaking Forgotten Places And Ruins Around The World
Recently, Bored Panda compiled a beautiful selection of photos of the mysterious, uncharted wilds of ruins and abandoned places from ‘Abandoned Beauties’ Facebook page to share with readers. Many authors of photos don’t add details about the precise locations purposely in order to protect the locations and objects from vandalism.
Here are photos and informations of 12 places where you can visit, gathered by us.
Abandoned Irish castle in the middle of a lake, County Roscommon, Ireland
McDermott’s Castle is in County Roscommon on Lough Key, 3km northeast of the town of Boyle, according to The Irish Road Trip.
Stretching around 10km across and forming a rough circular shape, Lough Key contains over 30 islands scattered throughout its chilly waters.
One of these islands is aptly named ‘Castle Island’ and it’s here that you’ll find the ruins of McDermott’s Castle.
Local legend tells the story of a girl called Una, the daughter of the McDermott chief, who fell in love with a boy from a lower class.
Una’s father refused to let her leave the island, in the hopes that this would deter the budding relationship.
Unbeknownst to her father, Una’s boyfriend began swimming across Lough Key to reach the castle. It was during one of these crossings that tragedy struck, and the boy drowned.
It’s said that Una died from grief and that both she and her partner have remained buried beneath two intertwined trees on the island ever since.
The Garden Of Ninfa
A landscape garden in the territory of Cisterna Di Latina, Province Of Latina, Central Italy
The Garden of Ninfa (Giardino di Ninfa), built on the ruins of the medieval town of Ninfa in the Pontine Marshes (Agro Pontino), has been classified by the New York Times as one of the most beautiful and romantic gardens in the world., wrote the Official Tourism Website in Italy.
Declared a Natural Monument by the Lazio Region, the garden, given the delicate environmental balance, may only be visited on certain days of the year, but the beauty of this place is well worth a visit.
The name Ninfa (Nymph) derives from a temple of the Roman era, dedicated to the Naiad Nymphs goddesses of spring water, which is still located in the garden.
The city of Ninfa was destroyed in the fourteenth century; since the sixteenth century, several members of the Caetani family present in the Pontine and Lepine territory for many centuries, decided to create a garden with precious botanical varieties, pools of water and fountains. However, it was only in the nineteenth century that Ada Bootle Wilbraham, the wife of Onoraro Caetani, and her sons built an actual Anglo-Saxon style garden, by draining the swamps, planting cypress trees, oaks, beeches, and restoring some ruins, including the baronial palace.
The care of the garden was continued by the descendants of the Caetani family, until the last heir, Lelia, who added various botanical species and established the Roffredo Caetani Foundation, which still deals with protecting the Giardino di Ninfa and the castle of Sermoneta .
There are 1300 botanical species over the eight acres of landscape.
You can admire nineteen varieties of deciduous magnolia, birch, water iris and several Japanese maples. The ornamental cherry trees that bloom in the spring, apple trees and the tulip tree are also spectacular.
There are many varieties of roses that climb on trees and ruins along the river and streams, making this a particularly romantic place.
Tropical plants such as the avocado, the South American Gunnera manicata and the banana trees can also be admired.
The Ruins Of Bannerman’s Castle
An abandoned military surplus warehouse, still stand in the middle of the Hudson river
|Source: Kim Zier Photography|
Buried on an island in the Hudson, beneath the brittle body of century old castle walls and thin hair of tangled vines, lie Civil War bayonet scabbards and the ashes of Irish linen bed sheets, reads article on hudsonriver.com.
This is the remnant of a Scotsman's fortress called Bannerman Castle -- built not as a home, but as an arsenal for his immense collection of weapons. Public access to this island has had a small window of opportunity, curtained by Native American and Dutch settler's fear of resident spirits and goblins, and then restricted since 1900 for more contemporary safety reasons.
New York State had plans to open Bannerman Island as a park, and for a short time in 1968 they ran tours of the island. But the night of August 8, 1969, a raging fire of unknown origin destroyed all of the buildings. Since then, the Taconic State Parks Commission declares it off limits.
King Alfred's tower
A folly built in the1760s near the location of Egbert's Stone
This is a circular walk of historic interest which takes you up through beautiful woodlands to King Alfred’s Tower and returning through Park Hill Camp Iron Age Hill Fort and Turner’s Paddocka, as stated in nationaltrust.org.uk.
King Alfred’s Tower is a 160ft (49m) high folly, designed by Henry Flitcroft for Henry Hoare II in 1772. It is believed to mark the site where King Alfred the Great rallied his troops in 878. The tower commemorates the accession of George III to the throne in 1760 and the end of the Seven Years War.
Once the most prosperous fishing village, part of the Shengsi Archipelago off the eastern coast of China
Houtouwan was once a prosperous fishing village, with a 1980s population of more than 3,000 residents. However, because of its remote and hard-to-access location, its residents started to move out in the '90s.
In 2002, the village was officially depopulated and merged into a nearby village.
After decades of abandonment, empty houses in the ocean-facing, cliffside village -- some of them still furnished -- have been taken over by a blanket of lush climbing plants, as reported by CNN.
The Shengsi Archipelago, around 40 miles from Shanghai, is the only archipelago officially declared a National Scenic Area in China. With more than 400 islets, the archipelago is a popular weekend getaway from Shanghai.
Shengshan is the easternmost island and, together with neighboring Gouqi Island, is famous for its seafood. It boasts one of the biggest fish farms in China.
Hotel Del Salto
Tequendama Falls – Colombia
|Source: Abandoned Beauties|
Hotel Del Salto at Tequendama Falls is considered a significant tourist attraction for Colombians and international travelers alike. The hotel sits 18 miles southwest of Bogota and is easily accessible by car or bus. It invites a crowd of tourists longing to take in the view of Tequendama Falls, as mentioned by britonthemove.com.
It was built in 1923 as a luxury hotel to host elite travelers visiting the Tequendama Falls area. Ordered built by the President of Colombia and designed by the architect Carlos Arturo Tapias, the hotel was a place for the richest to gather and indulge in the most exceptional experiences of the ’20s. Imagine a room viewing the stunning waterfalls and dining on the patio that offers impressive views. Once a hotel that delivered architectural marvel, epic views, and art. You can imagine why it was so popular.
The hotel’s notoriety comes from two primary sources — the Musica people jumping from the falls long before the hotel existed. And, once the hotel was built, several Colombians chose to take their lives at the falls. Supposedly, hotel guests would hear cries from the inside, which leads to the claim that the hotel is haunted.
In the 1970s, sewage started affecting the river. The hotel closed in the early 1990s as a result of the overwhelming pollution of the river. Sadly, as you drive up to visit, you can see the pollution. There are masses of white foam covering the river. The water is polluted.
Built in 1821 and called Hotel Weimar in Abandoned Spa Town in the Czech Republic
|Former hotel Kavkaz (built in 1821 and called Hotel Weimar). It is currently abandoned, and in the beginning of 2018 a part of the building had collapsed.|
Hotel Kavkaz (former Hotel Weimar) in Marianske Lazne, built in 1821, rebuilt 1872, again in 1904 before the visit of King Edward VII. In 1950 the Czechoslovak state baths and springs organisation got it to take care of and renamed it to "Kavkaz". It's interiors were conected with neighbouring houses and created whole spa complex. Hotel Kavkaz served as a spa sanatorium till 1994, abandoned since then. Statics of the house is badly disrupted, in 2018 ceilings fell down and the whole back part of it needed to be pulled down.
Ghost Palace Hotel
The PI Bedugul Taman Rekreasi Hotel and Resort – otherwise known as the Ghost Palace Hotel – is now just a concrete shell that, despite never opening its doors to guests, is doing quite a trade, mentioned by asianinspirations.com.
Bedugul is a beautiful and peaceful part of Bali, set almost in the middle of the island near Bedugul Lake. It’s a quite spectacular part of Bali that gets quite a lot less tourist traffic than hotspots like Kuta and Nusa Dua.
But back to the Ghost Palace, a surprising number of urban legends have sprung up around the demise of this one grand hotel, and they are freely propagated by the locals and tour operators.
The hotel itself is set high above the rice fields of Bedugul and sports views of Gunung Agung, Bali’s most famous volcano.
The hotel was thought to be financed by Tommy Suharto, son of former Indonesian President Suharto. Tommy surfed a wave of nepotism and corruption to profit off many family-owned monopolies, and he was eventually jailed for fraud and murder charges.
The southernmost point of the island of Sakhalin on the end of Cape Aniva
This nine-story installation was built by the Japanese in 1936, remained in use up until 2006, and then was abandoned, since modern oceangoing navigation hardly needs lighthouses anymore. Sadly, ever since, it’s been in decline: stripped down, run down, not a pretty sight up close. But from a distance, really quite impressive in an imposingly monumental-historical kind of way, stated Eugene Kaspersky, CEO of Kaspersky in his blog.
Off Island of Palmaria, Italy
Located in The Gulf of Poets, La Spezia Italy, the Scola Tower stands over 42 feet tall in the sea. Built in the 17th century, the tower was originally designed, as part of a defensive system for the Senate of the Republic of Genoa. The tower is one of the many, built on the Ligurian coast, in order to provide protection from the enemies, according to unusualplaces.org.
Early chronicles claim, that the construction has cost more than 60,000 pounds and became a permanent residence for six soldiers, a bomber and their commander. At the time, the fort was named Torre di San Giovanni Battista; Tower of St. John the Baptist. The Scola Tower has a pentagonal shape and a wall thickness of approximately 4 feet. In fact, this may be the reason, why part of the architecture of the building has survived.
Unfortunately, the battles held between Napoleon and the British in 1800, damaged the tower structure almost entirely. There was no other choice but to abandon it. As time passed, national threats disappeared and the tower lost its defensive purpose. Moreover, officials found it so useless that, in 1915, they planned its demolition.
Luckily, the Italian Ministry of Public Education Ubaldo Mazzini acknowledged the historical value of the fortification and decided to save it. Throughout the 20th century, the building was constantly restored and turned into a popular tourist attraction.
Abandoned Volkswagen graveyard
Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, the US
The “graveyard” is a huge collection of rusting, dilapidated Volkswagen cars nestled in the woods behind an abandoned mechanic’s garage, as claimed by Kevin Schuyler in his blog.
It was inundated with Volkswagens of every make and model. From old fashioned Beetles to the stereotypical hippie vans, there was so much variety in the collection.
An abandoned Soviet airbase in Sakhalinskaya Oblast', Russia
Originally, the airfield on this place was built in the early 20th century for the Imperial Japanese Army and was called Keton. It consisted of a 1200 m long concrete runway, gravel taxiways and about 20 equipped aircraft parking lots.
After the Soviet Union regained control over Sakhalin in 1945, the Smirnykh airfield (both the village and airfield were renamed in 1946 after the battalion commander who died in the battles for the liberation of the island in this area) became home to the 528th Fighter Aviation Regiment, which performed the tasks of air defense of Sakhalin Island and its marine zone.
In 1966, the airfield was reconstructed. A new runway with a length of 2,000 m was built, which was later extended to 2,500 m, as well as reinforced concrete shelters for aircrafts with fan exit to taxiways.
In 1994 the fighter aviation regiment was disbanded. The aircrafts were moved to Komsomolsk-on-Amur, where a storage base was equipped, but later all of them were disposed off. But two MiG-23s, one combat aircraft and one combat trainer, were left in hangars at the Smirnykh, where they remain to this day...
The founder of the ‘Abandoned Beauties’ project notes that they credit all the photographers for their work. If you notice a gorgeous photo without any credits, then that means that the image is either part of the creative commons license or the page wasn’t able to find the original photographer.
If you have any questions about all of that and you want to give the photographers a follow but can’t seem to find the original source, try asking the page moderator or the community itself.
|Top 10 Most Beautiful Houses In The World |
Everyone wants a beautiful and gorgeous house to live, but to some people, it is also about outstanding architecture, majestic looking and extremely luxurious. Here ...
|What to Eat in Cambodia? Here're 14 Most Popular Dishes |
Cambodia’s cuisine takes in a range of mouth-watering dishes, with a variety of herbs and vegetables.
|The Mysterious Initiation Well at Quinta da Regaleira |
Somewhere in Portugal, there is a historical site named Quinta da Regaleira castle and its mysterious Initiation Wells that charms many tourists because of its ...