October 30, 2020 12:06 | About us
Language: Tiếng Việt | ພາ​ສາ​ລາວ | ខ្មែរ | русский | 中文

66 more people on Diamond Princess cruise ship ship off Japan have nCoV

15:33 | 10/02/2020

Testing aboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan has found 66 more confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (nCoV), Japan Times reported on Monday (Feb 10).

60 more people on diamond princess cruise ship ship off japan have ncov China virus rise again after earlier decline
60 more people on diamond princess cruise ship ship off japan have ncov Vietnam’s new nCoV test kit thrice as fast at one-third the cost
60 more people on diamond princess cruise ship ship off japan have ncov Japan helps Vietnam with rapid nCoV identification
66 more people on diamond princess cruise ship ship off japan have ncov
Test results are still coming in as passengers on the Diamond Princess face a two-week quarantine against the the virus. (Photo: AFP/STR)

Other local media also reported approximately 66 more cases had been confirmed. It means there are now more than 156 confirmed cases in Japan, including about 136 on the Diamond Princess.

The liner was placed on a two-week quarantine on arriving at Yokohama on Feb 3, after a passenger who disembarked in Hong Kong (China) last month was diagnosed with the virus.

There were more than 3,700 passengers and crew on the ship when it arrived off Japan's coast last week.

Dozens have been taken to hospital and around 3,600 people, many of them elderly, were still on board on Sunday.

The ship docked in Yokohama on Sunday to resupply for a quarantine that could last until Feb 19.

Local reports said Japan's health authorities brought urgently needed drugs and other medical supplies to about 500 people.

About 100 said they had a fever or felt unwell, according to the reports.

Passengers on the ship have been asked to stay inside their cabins to prevent new infections with some expressing confusion and frustration.

The government now plans to test dozens more elderly people as it investigates whether there were any issues with hygiene control on the ship.

“We are considering testing, if possible, all those over 80 years old who are in ill health,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said at a news conference Monday.

The number of deaths from China's new coronavirus surged past 900 in mainland China on Monday after the hardest-hit province of Hubei reported 91 new fatalities.

In its daily update, Hubei's health commission also confirmed another 2,618 new cases in the central province, where the outbreak emerged in December./.

VNF/AFP/Japan Times