New York state approves to ban chokehold and others restrictions to cops
According to Fox News, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed a series of police reforms, which ban chokehold and other restrictions for police in doing public services.
In particular, the reforms include a ban on police chokeholds that result in injury and death a crime and repealing a measure known as 50-a that shields police disciplinary records from public view. This move came amid the wake of protestors and concerns about police's excessive force after George Floyd's death in Minneapolis on May 25.
|New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, center, hands a pen to Rev. Al Sharpton after signing into law, Friday, June 12. Photo: AP|
“If there’s no trust, the police can’t effectively police. If there’s no trust, the community is not going to allow the police to police. The truth is this: Police reform is long overdue, and Mr. Floyd’s murder is just the most recent murder. We’re not going to be as a state government subsidizing improper police tactics", said Gov. Cuomo.
|Protester is arrested after marching from Bryant Park uptown. Photo: Daniel William McKnight|
When it comes to abolishing 50-a measure, police unions and Republicans replied that the repeal could expose sensitive information of officers and prevent them from doing their jobs. However, personal details as phone numbers, addresses shall not be revealed to the public, just like other city and state records subject to Freedom of Information Law requests.
The NYC Police Benevolent Association (PBA) raised voice that the laws can make an already tough job for cops even harder.
|New York City PBA President Pat Lynch, center, speaks during a news conference in New York, Tuesday, June 9. Photo: NY Dailynews|
“Governor Cuomo and our legislative leaders have no business celebrating today,” PBA President Patrick Lynch said in a statement. “New York state had been failing our communities for decades: failing to provide economic opportunity, failing to educate our youth, failing to care for the vulnerable and the mentally ill. Police officers spend our days addressing issues caused by these failures.”
President Donald Trump change the date of Tulsa rally after controversial opinion
President Trump announced that the Tulsa rally shall take place on June 20 instead of June 19, which is known as the Juneteenth, USA Today reported.
|President Trump's tweet. Photo: screenshot|
"Many of my African American friends and supporters have reached out to suggest that we consider changing the date out of respect for this Holiday, and in observance of this important occasion and all that it represents. I have therefore decided to move our rally to Saturday, June 20th, in order to honor their requests," Trump tweeted late Friday.
Trump's announcement had remained controversial earlier over the first of several big campaign events. It will be his first rally since an event in Charlotte, North Carolina, on March 2. He had said that the initial planning of the rally for Juneteenth in Tulsa was not deliberate.
|Photo: New York Times|
"Think about it as a celebration. My rally is a celebration. In the history of politics, I think I can say there's never been any group or any person that's had rallies like I do," Trump said in the interview. "I go and I just say, 'Give me the biggest stadium and we fill it up every time.'"
However, besides the significance of June 19, Tulsa is also known as "Black Wall Street" with a troubled racial history. In 1921, it was the place taking place a massacre of hundreds of African Americans during racial unrest in the US' history.
|DaSun Millard stands next to Black Lives Matter sign on a traffic light post, at the newly named "Black Lives Matter Plaza" on 16th St., near the White House in Washington, June 6, 2020. Photo: ABC News|
The Tulsa rally comes after weeks of protests against racism across the US and police's excessive force over the death of George Floyd, a black man whose neck was choked by Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin while Floyd pleased he couldn't breathe.
A New Jersey cop charged with assault after using pepper spray to people whose unprovoked behavior
As Newsbreak reported, a cop in New Jersey was charged with assaulting two people whose unprovoked behaviours by using pepper spray. Prosecutors announced that the cop named Ryan Dubiel, 31, working at Woodlynne Police Department, was charged with two counts of simple assault, prosecutors announced.
|Photo cut from video. Source: CNN|
Being dispatched after a call on June 4 for posible trespassing and loitering, Dubiel and another officer came to the scene and talked with several young men sitting on a front porch.
An officer is heard on the video telling the young men they are responding to a call for trespassing. Officers are seen on video asking the people on the porch for their names and other identifying information, but many refuse. One of the young men goes to call his brother and Dubiel tells him to put his phone down. When the young man continues to call, Dubiel is seen proceeding to pepper spray multiple people.
|Ryan Dubiel. Photo: Courtesy Courier-Post (Cherry Hill, NJ) and Gannett|
In addition to the charges, Dubiel has been suspended from the department without pay. Dubiel has been with the Woodlynne Police Department for 10 months and this is the ninth police department where he has served, prosecutors said in a press release.
"Our Special Prosecutions Unit received the Internal Affairs complaint against Dubiel on June 5 and immediately began collecting all of the evidence to conduct a thorough and impartial review of the complaint," said Acting Camden County Prosecutor Jill S. Mayer. "After careful review, it was clear Dubiel's actions are not consistent with the State of New Jersey use-of-force policy."
|Scene of the incident. Photo: Philadelphia magazine|
According to the prosecutor's office, current use-of-force policy allows a police officer to use force "when a subject refuses to comply with an officer's commands at the time of arrest, or when the subject threatens the officer's safety."
Seattle police want to return to the vacated precinct
Seattle police want to return to a downtown precinct that they left empty as protesters began occupying the area.
The area around the precinct is now occupied by protesters, some of whom are calling it the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone. As CNN reported, police boarded up the East Precinct building in the Capitol Hill neighborhood and left it unoccupied during protests over the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.
|A band plays a free show in front of the Seattle Police Department's East Precinct. Photo: CNN|
Protesters have also hung signs on the East Precinct, some of which read "Seattle People Department" and "The Property of the People."
But Seattle's Mayor Jenny Durkan says the city will not be accepting federal troops to move the protesters out. "The threat to invade Seattle -- to divide and incite violence in our city -- is not only unwelcome, it would be illegal," Durkan said at a Thursday press conference. She added that the majority of the protests have been peaceful.
|A defaced sign for the East Precinct reads "Seattle People Department" . Photo: CNN|
Meanwhile, the Seattle police chief is openly criticizing city leaders for evacuating the Third Precinct building in the city's Capitol Hill district. "You should know, leaving the precinct was not my decision," Police Chief Carmen Best said in a video addressed to the members of the department. The video was posted on the police department's YouTube page on Thursday.
Chief Best added that the city "had other plans for the building and relented to severe public pressure," and expressed her anger at how all this came about. She said officers spent days protecting the building before the city boarded it up.
Earlier, in a news conference Wednesday, Assistant Police Chief Deanna Nollette said, "We're trying to get a dialogue going so we can figure out a way to resolve this without unduly impacting the citizens and the businesses that are operating in that area."
|Protests in America update: Protests in Seattle become more aggresive |
Protesters in Seattle are prevailing the police precinct, President Donald Trump warns against "falsely labeling" Americans racist and Oklahoma cop won't apologize for controversial saying about African ...
|Protests in America update: George Floyd's brother calls on Congress to act over police violence |
Former Minneapolis police officer Thomas Lane released on bond, George Floyd's brother calls on Congress to act over police violence, more cities ban chokeholds and Christopher ...
|Protests in America update: Bail set for Seattle man accused of shooting protester after driving into crowd |
San Francisco to aid victims of police violence, bail set for Seattle man accused of shooting protester after driving into crowd, Senate confirms first black air ...