India weather forecast latest, December 25: Dense fog, frost conditions over many northwest areas
According to Skymet Weather, an active Western Disturbance is moving towards North India. This system has reached northern Afghanistan at this time.
A cyclonic circulation is seen over southern Bangladesh and adjoining areas. Another cyclonic system persists near the equator and the Maldives in the Indian Ocean.
A cyclonic circulation is over the equator and adjoining southwestern parts of the Bay of Bengal. During the next 24 hours, Cold conditions are expected to continue at some places in Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Rajasthan, East Madhya Pradesh, Telangana, and Odisha.
Frost is also expected in some parts of Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi and Rajasthan.
There is a possibility of dense fog in some areas of Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Assam and Meghalaya.
Light rains may occur over Tamil Nadu and parts of Kerala. Light to moderate rains are expected in Lakshadweep.
|Locals walk on a snow-covered road amid fog at Faqir Gujri on the outskirts of Srinagar.(PTI)|
Many towns and cities in northwest India continued to record "severe" air quality on Thursday, including Delhi Ghaziabad, Faridabad, Noida and Greater Noida in the national capital region.
They recorded an air quality index (AQI) reading between 400 to 500. Severe air “affects healthy people and seriously impacts those with existing diseases,” according to Central Pollution Control Board.
The air quality early warning system for Delhi under the ministry of earth sciences said surface winds are likely to remain light and ventilation will be poor, resulting in deterioration in air quality for the next two days. Scientists said the drop in air quality was mainly due to a drop in wind speed over northwest India.
"Cold wave" to "severe cold wave" conditions are likely in parts of Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh and Delhi on Thursday and Friday according to India Meteorological Department.
"Cold wave" conditions are also likely over several pockets of Punjab and Haryana, Chandigarh, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh on Christmas day.
A cold wave occurs in plains when the minimum temperature is 10 degrees Celsius or below and/or is 4.5 notches lesser than the season’s normal for two consecutive days. Cold wave is also declared when the minimum temperature is less than 4 degrees Celsius in the plains.
IMD released a geospatial map on Tuesday for people to track cold wave and severe cold wave conditions over the entire country.
Minimum temperature over northwest India is likely to rise by 2-4 degrees Celsius on December 26 and 27 due to an approaching western disturbance, IMD scientists said.
Dense to very dense fog in the morning hours is likely over Punjab, Haryana, Chandigarh and Delhi during the next three days.
Dense fog is also likely in the northern parts of Uttar Pradesh, over Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura during the next two days. Ground frost conditions are likely over Jammu, Kashmir, Ladakh, Gilgit-Baltistan, Muzaffarabad, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab and Haryana, Chandigarh and Delhi during the next two days, IMD said in its bulletin.
|Photo: Weather Online|
According to Hindustan Times, here are the top 10 coldest places in India at the moment:
1. Leh: The largest town and the joint capital of the newly formed Union Territory Ladakh reported the lowest minimum temperature in the country at - 13 degrees Celsius. Ladakh was made a UT in 2019 after the Centre scrapped Article 370 which had given special status to the former state of Jammu and Kashmir.
2. Keylong: Keylong, or Kyelang, is located in the northern part of state of Himachal Pradesh and is located along the Manali-Leh highway close to the intersection of the Chandra Valley, the Bhaga Valley, and the Chenab Valley. The town reported a minimum temperature of -7.7 degrees Celsius.
3. Pahalgam: Located in the Anantnag district of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Pahalgam is one of the most popular tourist destinations of the country and also one of the coldest cities. It is currently reporting a minimum temperature of -6.6 degrees Celsius.
4. Gulmarg: Another popular tourist destination located in Jammu and Kashmir, and one of the coldest places in the country all year round, Gulmarg is enveloped by snow covered mountains during the winters with temperatures dropping below zero on a regular basis. The city reported a minimum temperature of -6 degrees Celsius.
5. Srinagar: The summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, home to the iconic Dal Lake, and a tourist hub, Srinagar has also made its name as one of those cities that stays chilly throughout the year. The city reported a minimum temperature of -5 degrees Celsius.
6. Kupwara: The remote town of Kupwara is located in the west of Jammu and Kashmir, close to the country’s border. It recorded a minimum temperature of -4.5 degrees Celsius.
7. Kokernag: Kokernag is a sub district town located in Jammu and Kashmir in the Breng valley of the Anantnag district. The town reported a minimum temperature of -4 degrees Celsius.
8. Qazigund: Qazigund, also located in Jammu and Kashmir’s Anantnag district, stands at an elevation of 1670 metres above the mean sea level. The town also reported a minimum temperature of -4 degrees Celsius.
9. Kalpa: The village of Kalpa, located in the Sutlej river valley in Himachal Pradesh, recorded a minimum temperature of -0.6 degrees Celsius. The village is also a popular tourist destination in the state.
10. Banihal: Located 35 km away from Qazigund in Jammu and Kashmir, Banihal is a rural area which reported a minimum temperature of -0.4 degrees Celsius.
|India weather forecast latest, December 21: Cold wave persists as moisture increases with dense fog |
Cold wave conditions are forecasted to continue in India for a few days. Besides, clear sunshine is likely to warm surface when moisture sets to ...
|India weather forecast latest, December 20: A yellow warning for intense cold and dense fog at some places |
Cold weather is likely to continue with dense fog and the MeT department has issued a yellow warning in Una, Bilaspur, Hamirpur, Mandi and Sirmaur ...
|India weather forecast latest, December 19: Cold weather to blanket over the weekend |
India weather forecast latest, December 19: Chilly weather is forecasted to continue over the weekend with "severe cold days" and minimum temperature below normal.