Property Ownership for Expats: What Do You Need?
Foreign organization or individual eligibility for home ownership in Vietnam
According to Clause 1, Article 159 of the Housing Law of 2014, foreign organizations and individuals eligible for the homeownership in Vietnam include:
- Foreign organizations and individuals who invest in project-based housing construction in Vietnam as prescribed in the Housing Law and corresponding regulations of law,
- Foreign-invested enterprises, branches, representative offices of foreign enterprises, foreign-invested funds and branches operating in Vietnam,
- Foreign individuals who are allowed to enter Vietnam.
|Foreign organizations and individuals are eligible to own homes in housing development projects only. Photo: Internet|
Foreign individuals are eligible for homeownership in Vietnam under 2 types of circumstances:
- If they invest in project-based housing construction in Vietnam as prescribed in the Housing Law and corresponding regulations of law;
- if they buy, rent and purchase, receive, or inherit commercial housing, including apartments and separate houses in housing development projects, except for areas under management relating to national defense and security as prescribed in regulations of the Government.
What do expats need to purchase a home in Vietnam?
|Foreigners investing in housing developments can own property. Photo: Internet|
According to Article 74 of Decree of Government No. 99/2015/ND-CP, expats are required documents proving eligibility for owning houses in Vietnam.
- For organizations: A foreign organization must have certification of investment registration, or a permit issued by a relevant Vietnamese authority for operation in Vietnam, which is still unexpired at the time of housing transaction.
- For individuals: A foreign individual must have an unexpired passport bearing the entry seal of the Vietnam’s immigration authority and not given diplomatic immunity and privileges, according to the Ordinance on diplomatic immunity and privileges of diplomatic missions, consular offices, and representative authorities of international organizations in Vietnam.
|Housing projects for foreigners in Hanoi to be reviewed |
Hanoi will continue reviewing housing projects and new urban areas where have sold houses and apartments to foreign individuals and organizations in order to ensure ...
|Vietnam Green Housing Program facilitating people’s access to affordable housing |
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signing ceremony on new partnership between the Ministry of Construction’s Housing and Real Estate Market Administration (HREMA) and the German ...
|Foreigners allowed to own homes in 22 Hanoi commercial housing projects |
From November 2019 until May 2020, Hanoi also listed 26 other commercial housing projects where foreigners can buy homes.