Top leader Nguyen Phu Trong re-elected as Party General Secretary
|Ambassadors of Spain, Iran, Philippines present credentials to Vietnam's top leader|
|Top leaders congratulate US President Joe Biden on inauguration|
|Party, State leader attends national political-military conference|
|Nguyen Phu Trong is re-elected as General Secretary of the 13th Party Central Committee (Photo: VNA)|
This morning, January 31, the first meeting of the 13th Party Central Committee elected the Politburo, the General Secretary, the Secretariat, the Central Inspection Committee, and the Chairman of the Central Inspection Committee.
The plenum took place one day after the 13th National Party Congress finalized the election of a new 200-member Party Central Committee.
During the meeting, Party leader Nguyen Phu Trong, 77, was re-elected for another five-year term. He became Party General Secretary in 2011, and was re-elected to the position in 2016.
General Secretary and State President Nguyen Phu Trong was re-elected as General Secretary for the new term. This is the third time he has been elected to be the General Secretary by the Party Central Committee and the sixth time he has been elected to key positions.
Specifically, on June 26, 2006, Mr. Nguyen Phu Trong - Party Secretary of Hanoi at that time, was elected as the Chairman of the 11th National Assembly. The following term, he was re-elected as National Assembly Chairman of the 12th term on July 23, 2007.
On January 19, 2011, the 11th Party Central Committee elected him the General Secretary for the 2011-2015 term. Since then, he has been continuously elected to be the General Secretary for three consecutive tenures: 11th, 12th and 13th.
On October 23, 2018, he was elected by the 14th National Assembly as the President of Vietnam for the term 2016 - 2020 until now.
Nguyen Phu Trong, born in 1944 in Hanoi’s Dong Anh District, joined the Communist Party in 1967 and holds a Ph.D degree in politics and a bachelor degree in literature.
He was General Secretary of the Party Central Committee in the 11th, 12th and 13th tenures, a politburo member of the 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th tenures, a member of the Politburo's Standing Board (August 1999 - April 2001), and a member of the Party Central Committee in the tenures from the 7th to 13th.
In October 2018, Trong was elected as State President. He was Chairman of the National Assembly in the 11th and 12th tenures.
He has also been Secretary of the Central Military Commission and Head of the Central Steering Committee on Corruption Prevention and Control. Trong was a member of the National Assembly in the 11th, 12th, 13th and 14 tenures.
|General Secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnam Nguyen Phu Trong. Photo: tuoitre|
The first plenum of the 13th Party Central Committee also elected an 18-member Politburo in Hanoi on January 31.
The Politburo members comprise of:
1. Nguyen Phu Trong, Party General Secretary, State President
2. Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister
3. Pham Minh Chinh, Head of the PCC’s Commission of Organization
4. Vuong Dinh Hue, Secretary of the Hanoi city Party Committee, Head of the 14th National Assembly deputies’ delegation of Hanoi.
5. Tran Tuan Anh, Deputy Chairman of the PCC’s Commission of Economics; Minister of Industry and Trade
6. Nguyen Hoa Binh, Chief Justice of the Supreme People's Court
7. Luong Cuong, General, Chairman of the General Department of Politics of the Vietnam People's Army
8. Dinh Tien Dung, Minister of Finance
9. Phan Van Giang, Deputy Minister of National Defence; Chief of the General Staff of the Vietnam People's Army
10. To Lam, Minister of Public Security
11. Truong Thi Mai, Head of the PCC’s Commission of Mobilization
12. Tran Thanh Man, President of the Vietnam Fatherland Front's Central Committee
13. Pham Binh Minh, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Foreign Affairs
14. Nguyen Van Nen, Secretary of the Ho Chi Minh city Party Committee
15. Nguyen Xuan Thang, Director of the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics, Chairman of the Central Theoretical Council
16. Vo Van Thuong, Head of the PCC’s Commission of Popularization and Education
17. Phan Dinh Trac, Head of the PCC’s Commission of Internal Affairs
18. Tran Cam Tu, Chairman of the PCC’s Commission of Inspection
The Secretariat (term 13) includes some Politburo members assigned to join the Secretariat and 5 comrades elected at the first PCC meeting (term 13).
1. Do Van Chien, Minister-Chairman of the Government's Committee for Ethnic Affairs
2. Bui Thi Minh Hoai, Standing Deputy Chairwoman of the PCC’s Commission of Inspection
3. Le Minh Hung, Chief of the Office of the PCC
4. Le Minh Khai, Inspector General of the Government Inspectorate
5. Nguyen Trong Nghia, Deputy Chairman of the General Department of Politics of the Vietnam People's Army
The PCC’s Commission of Inspection (term 13) includes 19 members, Mr. Tran Cam Tu was re-elected Chairman of the Commission.
|13th National Party Congress decides Vietnam’s most important tasks: German newspaper |
The Unsere Zeit (Our Time) newspaper of the Communist Party of Germany (DKP) ran an article on the ongoing 13th National Congress of the Communist ...
|Foreign congratulations extended to 13th National Party Congress |
The political parties of various countries have extended messages of congratulation to the 13th National Congress of the Communist Party of Vietnam (CPV), which officially ...
|Vietnam Party Congress in western headlines |
Over the past two days, international media agencies such as AP, AFP, Reuters, BBC, France 24, and DW have provided wide coverage of the 13th ...