August 04, 2020 17:50 | About us
Language: Tiếng Việt | ພາ​ສາ​ລາວ | ខ្មែរ | русский | 中文

Foreigners died and hospitalized after... drinking beer

09:45 | 11/07/2020

The three expats’ fishing picnic turned into a disaster as they drank the beer mixed with methanol and got poisoned. One died on the spot, two others hospitalized in server health condition. 

motorcycle catches fire while spraying disinfectant in india Motorcycle catches fire while spraying disinfectant in India
drinking alcohol can increase the risk of getting coronavirus Drinking alcohol can increase the risk of getting coronavirus
new decree restricts use of alcohol on screen New decree restricts use of alcohol on screen
foreigners died and hospitalized after drinking beer
Petrova Nadejda at Khanh Hoa General Hospital (Photo: TTXVN) 

The couple Roman Stavrov, Kazakhstan and his wife, Petrova Nadejda, Uzbekistan were hospitalized early Wednesday with severe respiratory distress and diagnosed with methanol poisoning upon admission, according to Dr. Nguyen Luong Ky, head of the  Anti-poison Intensive Care Unit in Khanh Hoa General Hospital.

Both are still in severe poisoning health state at the moment, but showing signs of survival and have a positive prognosis.

The male patient can breathe slowly, while the female patient was still in a coma. Nadejda was transferred from Nha Trang’s Military Hospital 87 to Khanh Hoa General Hospital on Tuesday as her condition worsened.

The couple had earlier drank a mixture of beer and 90-degree alcohol while they were on a fishing picnic with two other friends. Shortly after that, they had severe breathing troubles and were hospitalized. A friend of theirs had succumbed to the liquor poisoning, Vietnam Plus reported. 

foreigners died and hospitalized after drinking beer
Roman Stavrov at Khanh Hoa General Hospital (Photo: TTXVN) 

According to Dr. Le Dang Khoa, methanol is an industrial chemical that should not be consumed in any quantity as it’s very toxic. Most alcoholic beverages contain low levels of methanol, which causes no harm. High level of methanol, however, may result in blindness, brain damage, organ failure, etc., and even death.

Vietnam is the second-biggest consumer of beer and liquor in Southeast Asia after Thailand and ranks the 10th largest in Asia for alcohol consumption.

dangers of heavy metals poisoning Dangers of heavy metals poisoning

Better protection against diseases cognitive disorders and autoimmune disease 

risk of heavy metal poisoning from eating shellfish from straits of malacca malaysia scientists Risk of heavy metal poisoning from eating shellfish from Straits of Malacca: Malaysia scientists

Seafood lovers living on the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia are being warned to reduce their shellfish consumption due to risk of heavy metal poisoning.

malaysia alcohol poisoning case at least 29 dead dozens ill Malaysia alcohol poisoning case: At least 29 dead, dozens ill

The death toll from an alcohol poisoning case in Malaysia has risen further, with at least 29 people dead, authorities said on Friday (Sep 21).

Jasmine Le