Recipe: Rich and nutritious sticky rice with pigeon meat and shiitake mushroom, with video
|Recipe: A snail and piper lolot cake for all ages to enjoy|
|Recipe: Sweet pumpkin balls with mung bean filling|
|Recipe: Fried quail eggs (balut) in tamarind sauce|
Pigeons are the main ingredients of many delicious dishes, including pigeon sticky rice. To make this dish, cooks need to pay close attention to every step.
- Total cooking time: 1 hour
- Servings: 4-5 people
- Total calories: 2,399 kcal
- 500 grams of sticky rice.
- 1 - 2 pigeons.
- 1 bowl of dried shiitake mushrooms.
- 1/2 tablespoon of pork lard.
- 2 teaspoons of chicken lard.
- 7-8 dried onions.
- Fish sauce, salt, pepper, seasoning.
- Coriander, cucumbers, carrots.
- Wash the glutinous rice, soak it for 6-8 hours then take out and let it rest for 15-30 minutes. Mix the rice with a little salt and cooking oil. The oil will give the sticky rice a shiny surface when cooked.
- Soak the shiitake mushrooms in hot water. When the mushrooms become tender, ensure they are well washed and finely chopped.
- Peel and slice the dried onion, before quickly fry them in a hot oil pan until they turn golden.
Stir-frying the pigeon meat:
- Clean the pigeons, rub them with salt and white wine to deodorize. Then, simmer the birds on a low heat. Once the pigeons are well cooked, take them out, and finely pull or chop the meat.
- Marinate the meat with 2 teaspoons of good quality fish sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of seasoning and half a teaspoon of pepper for 10-15 minutes.
- Put 1.5 tablespoons of pork lard in a hot pan, quickly fry a chopped onion. Add the pigeon meat and stir-fry over a high heat, then add the shiitake mushrooms and stir well.
Cooking the sticky rice:
To cook sticky rice, you need to use an appropriate amount of water, keep the temperature stable and cook the rice twice.
- Pour water into the lowest stage of a steam pot.
- Put a thin layer of fabric on the pot's upper part. Use your hand to gently put the rice into the pot, spread the rice evenly, and avoid breaking any grains.
- You should boil water on the lower part first, then put the upper part on once the water is boiled. This helps stabilize the heat so that the rice will be cooked evenly.
- The secret to cooking great sticky rice is cooking twice. After putting the upper part of the stream pot onto the lower for about 30 minutes, take the rice out and let it cool down. Then put the rice back into the pot, and steam for another 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, put the pigeon meat into the rice pot and keep steaming for a few more minutes to heat the meat.
Scoop the pigeon sticky rice with shiitake mushrooms into a deep bowl or plate,then sprinkle with fried onions and garnish with some coriander. This dish is best when served with pickled carrots and cucumbers.
|Photo: Bao Van Hoa|
- You should choose 15-day-old pigeons because they have the most tender meat. Only buy birds that have pink skin, thick wing meat and tender breast.
- If you cook this dish for small children, make sure you take out all the pigeon bones before stir-frying the meat, but if you cook for adults use the bones too, because it gives the rice a natural sweetness.
|Recipe: Vietnamese Vegetable Dipping Sauce with Caramelized Fish Sauce |
Kho quet (Vietnamese caramelized fish sauce dip), a very unique dipping sauce – representing Southern Vietnamese cuisine and flavour, inexpensive, savory, is made by caramelizing ...
|Recipe: Chicken steamed in lotus leaves, with video |
The tender chicken meat, soft lotus seat, and shiitake mushroom get the lotus leaves' fragrance. The dish can be served with regular rice or sticky ...
|Recipe: Orange & bean curd sweet soup to cool down summer's heat |
Orange & bean curd sweet soup is an easy-to-make and healthy dessert because it is not as sweet and rich as typical Vietnamese sweet soups.